Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Antigua, Guatemala Pt. 1

We recently returned from an amazing adventure in Antigua, Gautemala for my best friend and Jackson's godmother's, Sophia's wedding. To say we had a good time is an understatement. It was magical! 
The lion cub LOVED the sights, the streets, and especially the hand made toys :)
 
His favorite part about the trip however was the time he got to spend with his 'primitos'. My cousins came in all the way from Honduras JUST to meet our sweet boy and he was in heaven! He got to spend time with 'Tio Hector', Samuel and Jose Miguel and I got to spend time with their moms (my cousins) Lya and Ada. And my aunt & uncle of course. 

Jackson enjoyed some pool time, major car crashing, and even a short pajama party with his cousins.  
 
We got to tour all around the beautiful and very romantic city of Antigua, eat yummy food and even see a volcano or 3! Jackson and I even tried to blend in with the locals in our choice of attire--we were major hits amongst the wedding guests and the locals ;)
 
Cousins...
 Cousins...
 My dad, his brother, (Tio Leo) and my cousin, Ada and I. Ada and I are both expecting boys and only two weeks apart in our pregnancies. It was so great seeing her and especially seeing her pregnant.
 The beautiful ruins at Casa Santo Domingo...
 Complete with mummies...
 And Lion cubs! Playing with his cars no less...
 St. Joseph Cathedral in the main square...
The Santa Catalina arch...
 La Merced Church...
 And finally, and what left us all in awe, the Lenten procession. Each Sunday during Lent, one of the local churches sponsors a procession through the streets of Antigua. Elaborate carpets made up of sawdust and decorated with flowers, fruits and vegetables adorn the churches themselves and groups of individuals are asked to carry statues of the Virgin and Christ carrying the cross throughout the city streets.

Seeing this was most definitely a spiritually rewarding experience and one that I will never forget. I'm so glad I got to experience this with my family and especially with Jackson.
 
He was just as moved as I was, (despite his face in this picture) and couldn't wait to tell Gigi about how he saw, La 'Virgen Maria'! 

It's moments like that make me feel like I'm doing something right with this kid ;)
Antigua, Guatemala--an AMAZING experience and BEAUTIFUL city. Lots of love, laughter and just plain fun was had by all...
 Next up--Sophia and Gustavo tie the knot in Antigua! 

No comments:

Post a Comment