Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Room for a Big Boy

So as discussed in the previous post, we have moved our little lion cub into a big cub bed. We weren't intending to do this any time soon, it was our plan to keep him in the nursery until well into baby Dos's arrival because I didn't want him to feel as though we were 'kicking him out'. 

I had somewhat begun rearranging the guest room and painting it/putting new bedding on the bed because I at least wanted Jackson to have a new space but by no means were we pushing him to like it. 

I decided a while ago that we were NOT going to change the furniture because I wanted to use as much of what we had already so as to keep the change simple. Also, I'm not into buying tiny beds/furniture/cutesy toddler things which is why his room looks more like a pre-teen room than a happy-smiling mushroom-train-plane-room (my interpretation of most decorative toddler items). I'm sorry, I love them, I can appreciate them in other people's homes, but it would have given me a headache if I had to constantly see it in my own home. So without further hesitation, here it is! 
 Jackson moved HIMSELF in shortly after his 2nd birthday. I have only now posted about it because I wanted to get more decorative items in there and make solid sure his transition was, 1)smooth and 2)permanent.

Both were true right away. Something Jack and I talk about constantly is how incredibly simple and amazing our boy is. Not for nothing but this kid has made any and all transitions sooooooo unbelievably easy that I'm scared for Dos's personality to be the opposite of this. Jackson napped in his room for 4 days and on the 4th day I was taking him upstairs to put him to sleep for the night in the nursery, he asked me to be put him in his 'cuarto nuevo, cama grande!' (new room, big bed!).  I was scared, of course but minded his request and prepared myself for a sleepless night--NO such thing. Next night--same, following--even better--he slept longer, deeper and more serene than usual.

Since then it's been the same, he gets excited to go to his room and loves sleeping in his bed. He CAN in fact get in and out of his bed as he pleases (because of the bench in front) and does so from time to time, but mostly he prefers to roll around in his bed until his Dada or I come and get him.

He loves playing at his play table, reading in 'HIS' chair and messing around with his night lights...
And his night lights deserve attention as well. Jack was dying to buy this boy a moon and earth night light to hang in his room. Since I'm SO picky I was against it for a while but finally caved as I haven't seen Jack so excited about a kids toy pretty much ever. 

Turns out they are SUPER awesome. They look just like the moon/earth when all the lights are off and Jackson has remote controls for each one of them so he can click them on/off as he pleases from his bed. They are in opposite corners of the room and combined with his blue sleep turtle (pictured above on his bed) that lights up stars--it looks like his very own Solar System in his very own room! It's pretty neat, VERY serene and the boy thoroughly enjoys it. 
Besides a few more decorative items, some reading book shelves, and the letter 'C' (for his initial...which is backordered until JUNE...ugh) the room is complete! What's more? Jackson LOVES it, which was my main concern. I'm so glad he's happy because that of course makes me ecstatic! 
 
As for the nursery, well I'm working on that as well. For the most part it will stay the same, but Dos will be getting new bedding, drapes and accesories. It's only fair because he will be equally as awesome as his big brother ;). I'll make sure to post those pictures when we're done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment